This post is part of the: 5-Step Digital Marketing Strategy for Fundraising
Also in this series:
Video marketing for fundraising can be a powerful tool to engage donors, volunteers, and supporters, build trust and credibility, and drive donations and support for their non-profit. Video content can take many forms, such as storytelling videos, animated videos, explainer videos, and live streams. Here are some best practices for creating effective video content for fundraising:
- Keep it short: Attention spans are short, so aim for videos that are under two minutes.
- Use storytelling: Use compelling stories to make an emotional connection with your audience.
- Include a call-to-action: Encourage viewers to take action, such as donating or volunteering.
- Use high-quality visuals and audio: High-quality production values can increase engagement and credibility.
- Optimise for mobile: Many viewers will watch your video on a mobile device, so ensure it’s optimised for mobile viewing.
- Features: Ability to host and share videos, ability to monetize videos through ads, ability to optimise videos for search engines.
- Benefits: Large audience, high engagement potential, cost-effective ad platform.
- Audience: Broad demographic, with a focus on younger viewers.
Learn more: Top Tips for Marketing on Youtube
- Features: Ability to host and share videos, ability to target ads to specific audiences, ability to optimise videos for engagement.
- Benefits: Large audience, high engagement potential, ability to create custom audiences for targeted advertising.
- Audience: Broad demographic, with a focus on older viewers.
Learn more: Facebook Ad Formats for Charities
- Features: Ability to host and share short-form videos, ability to target ads to specific audiences, ability to use stories for live events and behind-the-scenes content.
- Benefits: High engagement potential, ability to use influencers to reach a wider audience, ability to leverage hashtags for increased visibility.
- Audience: Younger demographic, with a focus on millennials and Gen Z.
Learn more: Instagram Marketing Strategy for Fundraising
- Features: Ability to host and share short-form videos, ability to use popular trends and challenges for increased engagement, ability to target ads to specific audiences.
- Benefits: High engagement potential, ability to reach a younger demographic, ability to use influencers to reach a wider audience.
- Audience: Younger demographic, with a focus on Gen Z.
Best Practices for Reach and Engagement
- Use targeting: Use audience targeting options to reach the right people with the right message.
- Use captions: Use captions to make your video content accessible to people with hearing impairments and to increase engagement.
- Leverage influencers: Use influencers to reach a wider audience and increase credibility.
- Use analytics: Use analytics to measure the engagement and adjust your video strategy accordingly.
- Use social proof: Use testimonials or social proof to build trust and credibility with your audience.
Successful Charity Video Campaigns
Greenpeace’s “Rang-tan” Video
- Strategy: Used an animated video to raise awareness about the environmental impact of palm oil production.
- Metrics: Over 21 million views on YouTube, over 1.3 million shares on Facebook, and a 72% increase in Greenpeace’s online donations.
ALS Association’s “Ice Bucket Challenge”
- Strategy: Used a social media campaign to raise awareness and funds for ALS research through a viral video challenge.
- Metrics: Over 17 million videos were created and shared on social media, over $220 million was raised for ALS research and a 21% increase in ALS Association’s social media followers.
Save the Children’s “Most Shocking Second a Day Video
- Strategy: Used a storytelling video to raise awareness about the impact of the Syrian refugee crisis on children.
- Metrics: Over 58 million views on YouTube, over 500,000 shares on Facebook, and a 62% increase in Save the Children’s online donations.
Best Practices for Each Video Platform
- Use relevant keywords in your video titles, descriptions, and tags to optimise for search engines.
- Use calls to action in your video and video descriptions to encourage donations and engagement.
- Use video ads to target specific audiences and increase views.
- Use engaging visuals and captions to grab viewers’ attention.
- Use targeted video ads to reach specific audiences and increase engagement.
- Use Facebook Live to host Q&A sessions, behind-the-scenes content, and live events.
- Use vertical video format for optimal viewing on mobile devices.
- Use relevant hashtags to increase visibility and reach.
- Use Instagram Stories for live events, behind-the-scenes content, and Q&A sessions.
- Use popular trends and challenges to increase engagement and visibility.
- Use short-form videos for optimal viewing on mobile devices.
- Use influencers and user-generated content to reach a wider audience.
Video marketing for fundraising can be a powerful tool to engage donors, volunteers, and supporters, build trust and credibility, and drive donations and support for their non-profit. By following best practices and creating compelling and relevant video content, charities can create a strong connection with their audience and drive meaningful impact for their mission.
Thank you for taking the time to read our guide on Video Marketing for Fundraising. We hope that you found the information and examples provided useful in planning your next fundraising campaign. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to drop a comment below or contact us directly.